top of page

Sabin’s at Sea - Day 42 - Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia (Day Two)

Updated: Nov 21, 2022

by Nina Sabin - Travel Blog

Hooray is all we can say. After three days of raining the sun was shining and we had blue skies.

Seeing Papeete in the sun was a true pleasure after the downpour yesterday.

We enjoyed walking in the sunshine

and seeing the tree-covered mountains. There was still clouds covering the top.

Our plan was to walk to the white cross we saw on top of the mountain. Unfortunately, we could not figure out any road that led to the cross. It wasn’t listed on Google or any map.

Instead, we made it to a church and enjoyed the statues and buildings along our walk. We even saw a miniature version of the Statue of Liberty.

There is a symbol with a young girl sitting on the ground with a flower in her hair. She is on a lot of advertisements and appears to represent the spirit of Tahiti.

There is a little point of the island near the port we were hoping to see but it was closed on Sundays.

We were able to get almost 16,000 steps in today as we walked around Papeete.

The gardens that were closed yesterday next to the palace were open today and we saw beautiful carpe and an eel.

As the weather changed and the rain began, we went to the information center to use the internet.

In my previous blogs I mentioned the ships wifi has been slow or not working at all. When we arrived to Tahiti the whole system went down so being able to use high speed internet was a blessing.

Unfortunately, the captain announced that a part has broken with the wifi and IT was working on it. Our next island is remote with only 800 people so no Best Buy to get the part. Not sure if I will be able to post any of my blogs before returning to San Diego.

Tomorrow we are going to Fakarava, Tomatu which is part of French Polynesia. This island wasn’t on our original itinerary; however, we think it going to be similar to Dravuni Island, Fiji which we could not stop at due to the waves.

We are hoping to snorkel and praying for nice weather.

Our evening finished on the ship. We watched the ship depart through the tiniest channel we have seen so far. It looked like this ship had only inches on each side.

Once on open waters, the ship began rocking. For some reason now as soon as the rocking begins my stomach doesn’t like it.

We met our Canadian friends up in the crows nest to play Euchre and have some drinks. Soon after that, I put on the anti-nausea wrist bands.

The entertainment tonight was a memory person. He called himself the Nerd and entertained us with reciting Shakespeare from a random page and solved the rubrics cube in a many different ways. It was definitely an usual show.

After the show, I tried to eat dinner but that didn’t work and I felt pretty bad. Sleep was the only solution. John felt ok; I was thankful for that. Looking forward to tomorrow and feeling better.

bottom of page