Updated: Oct 19, 2018
by Nina Sabin - Healthy Tip
You know the old saying "sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never harm me." We'll the truth is words do hurt. Not only words but how the words are presented. People say things often that hurt us and they don't even know they are doing it.
How many times have you left a conversation with a boss, friend, spouse, sibling, etc. and felt deflated and hurt? The thing is most often than not, they didn't even know they hurt you. Many times they are struggling with their own issues and it isn't about you. Then without realizing it, they are taking their frustrations out on you. This could be done by the words they choose or their approach when talking with you. You think they have a problem with you, when the problem they have is something totally different.
So how do you communicate with others and not have hurt feelings? Instead of allowing their words to hurt you, take these steps.
1) Don't allow yourself to be hurt by their words - even though what they are saying may be wrong or hurtful - it is your choice to allow it to bother you.
2) Be empathetic - ask them why they are talking to you this way, is there something bothering them?
3) Don't react right away - think and pray about why they may be talking to you this way.
4) Don't allow them to be rude or hurtful to you - take control by letting them know it is not OK for them to talk to you this way.
5) Take yourself out of the conversation - if the above doesn't work - let them know they are hurting you by their words and you need to leave to not allow the hurt to continue.
There are many more suggestions on ways not to let people's words and opinions hurt you.
It is not easy to follow these steps and avoid being hurt by what others say. However, if you practice using these steps, eventually you will feel better about having conversations with others.
Most of all PRAY - God will help you in all circumstances, you just need to ask Him for help.
Don't forget to share your thoughts on Health Chat with Nina.