How to Make a Better You – Live like Jesus
by Nina Sabin - Healthy Tip
Recently my church has been focusing on the book of James during their weekly sermons. If you have never gone through James, I highly recommend it. In the book of James in the Bible, James takes us on a journey of how to live a genuine Christian life. On our own this is impossible, but with the help of the Holy Spirit it is possible to live this kind of life. Jesus was the ultimate example of how to live a life pleasing to God.
If you do live a life pleasing to God, even when you go through the toughest situations in life, you are able to be at peace. This begins with wisdom from above. Even Jesus turned to God the Father for wisdom.
The question is: what does wisdom from above look like in our lives? Wisdom from above starts with getting the mindset of God. That means He changes me from the inside. God doesn’t make me better than everyone else. He makes me better than myself. James 3:13 (NABRE)… Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in humility that comes from God.
When we do things to gain our own recognition, it means we are doing it for ourselves and not for the other person. This brings temporary gratification and fulfillment. However true fulfillment comes from loving God and loving others. Mark 12:30 – 31 (NIV) Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.
Many of us struggle with pride which is doing things for self and that is the opposite of what God wants from us. Just like Jesus, He wants us to do everything with humility. As humans, one of the hardest things to do is learn to be humble. James 3:14 – 16 (NIV) But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
How do we get wisdom into our lives? We ask God. James 1:5 (NIV) If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
There are six attributes of those living a wise life from above – just like Jesus.
1) The wise have a pure heart. James 3:17 (NIV) But the wisdom of that comes form heaven if first of all pure... Ask yourself… How much of the world am I going to allow in my life?
2) The wise love peace. James 3:17 - 18 (NIV) …then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. Here is a quote from my pastor: ‘Conflict cannot continue without my participation’.
3) The wise are considerate. Romans 15:1 – 3 (NLT) We who are strong must be considerate of those who are sensitive about things like this. We must not just please ourselves. We should help others do what is right and build them up in the Lord. For even Christ didn’t live to please himself. As the Scriptures say, “The insults of those who insult you, O God, have fallen on me. James 3:17 - 18 (NIV) …then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere…
4) The wise are willing to yield. Proverbs 12:15 (NLT) Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others. James 3:17 - 18 (NIV) …then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere…Ask yourself… Am I reasonable?
5) The wise minimize the mistakes of others. James 2:12 – 13 (NIV) Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law hat gives freedom, because judgement without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 3:17 - 18 (NIV) …then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere… Ask yourself… What do I need to stop bringing it up? LET IT GO!
6) The wise are authentic.
James 3:17 - 18 (NIV) …then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere…Ask yourself… What am I hiding?
Are you ready to make that change in your life by letting go of: being selfish, judging others, needing to be right, the hurts caused by others? Do you want to have a peaceful life by applying the wisdom from the above listed attributes? To make a better you, remember to live like Jesus through wisdom from above.
As a healthy life coach, I can give you the tools, support and accountability to help you let go of your past hindrances that is holding you back from accepting wisdom from above so you can a more fulfilling life that resembles Jesus.
Ready to make changes in your life and add wisdom as part of those changes -contact me today for a Complimentary Breakthrough Session. You will be so happy that you did.