How to Make a Better You – Live in the Moment
By Nina Sabin - Healthy Tip
How often are we thinking about the next thing we have to do? Or the plans for next week? Or are you concerned about the future? When we do this, we miss the joys of living in the moment by having our minds focused on something else.
The big question is ‘how do we learn to live in the moment’? Well, it takes training our mind through practice and discipline.
When you live in the moment, you learn to take pleasure in what you are doing in that moment.
God intended for us to enjoy life. We can’t enjoy life by thinking about all the tasks we have to get done, something from the past, or a trouble that is concerning us. We can only live in the moment; so why not enjoy it.
What good does it do us to think about things that haven’t happened yet? It is not good for our mind, body or spirit.
“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.” (Becomingmininimalist)
Here are steps to help you stay in the moment.
1) Pray for God to help you stay in the present. 1 John 5:14 ~ This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.
2) Focus on the present and not things that happened in the past. Isaiah 43:18 ~ “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
3) Focus on the present and do not worry about the future. Matthew 6:31-34 ~ Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
4) Self-talk – Tell yourself you are going to enjoy the moment you are in and not think about anything else during that moment.
5) Make a list each day of the things on your mind for the day - things to do, concerns, etc. Then, only focus on one of those things at a time. Find joy in that moment. Once the task is over, check it off so you don’t have to think of it again.
The next time you are at an event for your child, spending time with your spouse, or talking with a friend and your mind starts to wander on other things, remind yourself of these five steps and only live in that moment. Before you know it, that moment will be gone, and you will have missed the opportunity to enjoy it or the blessings that God has for you during that time. You might never know how blessed you will be from that moment unless you stay in the moment.
Remember to “Make a Better You” live in the moment. Share your thoughts on Health Chat with Nina.